Re: Can I start X while other stuff going on?

On 10 Nov 1998q, D'jinnie wrote:
> :Can I switch to another virtual terminal and start X Windows while I've
> :got something else going on in the first vterm, such as a download or a
> :dselect session, etc?
>
> I'm sure you've already gotten a million positive responses :) However, in
> my experience, it's not a good idea to switch to console too often - once
> in a while, X crashes (at least, it does for me, on 3 entirely different
> machines), which will kill your download and everything else...

I've never had this problem. Indeed, one of the things that's most astonished
and impressed me about linux, coming from Dos, is that I can start lynx and/or
ncftp in at least 3 different consoles and download different files
simultaneously. There probably is a bit of slowdown but it's not obvious. It
NEVER crashes. And this is on a humble DX486/100 with 20 meg memory.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald