Re: Can I start X while other stuff going on?

Hello Kent West <westk@heir.acu.edu>,

> Can I switch to another virtual terminal and start X Windows while I've
> got something else going on in the first vterm, such as a download or a
> dselect session, etc?

Yes.

> And if I can, once I'm in X, how do I then get back to where I can see how
> the download is progressing? Do I just Ctrl-Alt-F[key] back to the
> original vterm,

Yes and yes.

One nice thing you might like to do is set the environment variable
DISPLAY to the value :0 in your original vterm - then you can start
X programs from there. (I set it in my .login file.)

> or can I bring up the process in an Xterm or something similar?

No. Except, hmm, I don't know how you would do that. You might be
able to take the /dev/ttyXX from the vt and put it in an xterm.

But in general, no. The program runs where it's started. If it's an
X program, it looks at the DISPLAY variable and shows up there.

HTH

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>