Re: Can I start X while other stuff going on?

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Kent West wrote:

> Can I switch to another virtual terminal and start X Windows while I've
> got something else going on in the first vterm, such as a download or a
> dselect session, etc?

Yes.

> And if I can, once I'm in X, how do I then get back to where I can see how
> the download is progressing? Do I just Ctrl-Alt-F[key] back to the
> original vterm, or can I bring up the process in an Xterm or something
> similar?

cntrl-alt-Fn works. I guess if you're root, you could ttysnoop in an
xterm, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth ;)

Note though that if you work your vc hard (playing squake for example),
then when you hit alt-f7 to get back to X, then your xsession may reset
itself...

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo