Re: Pine Q. 2: Fortune in sig

On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 12:53:40AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> I got to thinking.... There may be a way to concatenate the signature file
> and the output of fortune into a new (temporary) signature file so that
> the new temp sig file would be used by Pine. But I don't yet know enough
> about redirection/piping/etc to do this off the top of my head, and
> further, there may not be a way to get Pine to run that script between
> the time you press R for reply and the time the editor pops up on the
> screen with the signature in place.

    Sure there is...

> Of course, I guess I could change my default Pine editor to something
> powerful enough to run macros when it starts and do just about anything.

    Just write a script to do what you want, then place a very simple script
as the editor.

#!/bin/sh
makefortune .blahsig
cp .blahsig .signature
joe (or your favorite editor here)

    Sure, you'll be one "fortune" behind, but that way they do change each
time and you do see what gets imported.  Also, as a nudge for Joe, small,
fast, and ^K/ is a godsend.  Don't let the vi folks fool ya.  ;)

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my