Re: Pine Q. 2: Fortune in sig

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Kent West wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> > On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Kent West wrote:
> >
> > >  1) Does the filter run before I compose the message? In other words,
> > > should I be able to see the fortune in my sig below right now as I'm
> > > typing this, or does it get added when I actually send the message?
> >
> > It runs during the actual sending process, so you don't ever actually see
> > the result of it.  Check your sent-mail folder to see what it looks like.
>
> Bummer: I hate to send something unless I know what I'm sending.
> Nonetheless, I will this time in order to demonstrate that your
> instructions worked. Thanks!

I got to thinking.... There may be a way to concatenate the signature file
and the output of fortune into a new (temporary) signature file so that
the new temp sig file would be used by Pine. But I don't yet know enough
about redirection/piping/etc to do this off the top of my head, and
further, there may not be a way to get Pine to run that script between
the time you press R for reply and the time the editor pops up on the
screen with the signature in place.

Of course, I guess I could change my default Pine editor to something
powerful enough to run macros when it starts and do just about anything.

Oh well, that's for another day. For now I'm content with having learned a
new technique. Thanks!

 --
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu