Sound recording over-run

Debian v2.0
kernel 2.1.125 (compiled by me)

What does the message
kernel: Sound: Recording overrun
mean?

I am also getting the error:
opening /dev/audio: Device or resource busy
when I try something like saytime, even though if I try
fuser -v /dev/audio
(or in fact any device in the group audio in /dev) I get nothing using it?

----
Robert King, || The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your
Environmental|| ebriated and scrutable use of "delible" and "defatigable",
Science,     || which are gainly, sipid and couth.  We are gruntled and
Griffith Uni,|| consolate that you have the ertia and eptitude to choose such
Australia    || putably pensible tithesis, which we parage. - Evan Kirshenbaum

    Robert.King@ens.gu.edu.au    http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/index.htm