Re: Internet connection thru cable tv

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 10:41:05PM -0500, Richard Davis wrote:
> I have an internet connection thru a local cable tv company. It is
> connected up to my computer through a D-Link DE-530CT+PCI Ethernet
> Adapter.
> I was wondering if debian supports this kind of connection to the
> internet and if so , how on earth do you go about setting it up?
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Richard

i believe it depends on individual service. but in general you should
be able to as i have @home and use it with Linux. What you first need
to do is get your network card recognized by linux. The best way to do
this is recompile your kernel with support for your card, if it is
supported. Once it is recognized by the kernel you can configure it two
ways, if your server supports dhcp or bootp you can use that to get the
relevant information or you can just manually configure it. The only problem
with manually configuring it is that if you have a dynamic ip address you
will need to change it while being physically in front of the machine. I use
the latter because i have not had any luck with dhcp which @home supports,
but it is very easy.

i believe there is also a cable-modem howto.

good luck.

--
 \ /  May the force be with you  \ /