Smail config problems....

When I try to send mail from one user to another on my local machine,
the mail fails to get to the destination and does not return an error
message to the originator of the mail.  When I checked /var/spool/smail/error
I find that smail can't identify the users.  I've tried several forms of
addresses:

jerrym
jerrym@maui
jerrym@maui.value.net

(Also tried root.)

All of these should be legal.  What could be missing from my setup?

Thanks,

Jerry

Certus Consulting Group               | Specializing in Integrated Circuit
Antioch, CA 94509                     | Design and Verification, Logic
(925)757-0685                         | Synthesis, Fault Grading, and
<http://www.certus.com>               | Test Development