Window Maker and Looking for the right window manager

At the moment I'm using Window Maker as my window manager
but I'm having trouble figuring out how to make it do some
of the things I'd like it to do.  For instance, I'd like
to set program specific window "looks".  Like have all
xterm windows come up with white writing on a black background
and all of some other software's window come up with black
writing on a red background, etc...  I also would like to
experiment with semi-transparent backgrounds so that you
can see through (somewhat) a command shell to the windows
that lie behind it.  Perhaps Window Maker can do these
things and I just don't have the HowTo's I need?  Perhaps I
should be using a different WM for this sort of thing?  Or
perhaps none of them can do this sort of thing?  I've thought
about trying "Enlightenment" but its authors claim that it
is still pretty buggy and can crash the system.  Since I
changed to Linux (from DOS/Windows) because I had to deal
with chronic system crashes this would hardly be an improvement.
Any comments, advice, pointers to useful info, etc... appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin