Still having Printer Problems

In my attempt to isolate why I can't print I came across a potential
problem.  When I installed Linux I had a parallel
port Zip Drive attached to my printer port.  If I type 'mount /dev/sda
Zip' I am able to mount the zip drive.  Since
my printer is connected to the Zip drive I was wondering if this might
be why I cannot print by using /dev/lp1?
If I have a file 'test' and type test > /dev/lp1 I get nothing. lp test
gives an error message

job 'cfA121111' to lp@localhost failed

Might this be a result of the Zipdrive/Printer?  If so, how can I
correct it to print via the Zip drive?

Thanks

Lance