Re: Newbie Question

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Costa, Michael J. wrote:

> I have just loaded down the man-db package. However I can't seem to find any
> documentation on how to convert the .deb packages to anything useful. Any
> help would be much appreciated.
>
> man-db packages was --->
> <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/doc/man-db_2.3.10
> -65.deb>

Assuming you have already installed the base system, just try to
install the debian package this way:

dpkg -i man-db_2.3.10-65.deb

Then you will have a working "man" command (provided you don't have
unmet dependencies).

dselect will care about dependencies for you, you might want to
download and install packages from dselect.