Re: slink features?

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, SEGV wrote:

> Since I am going to install Debian 2.1 on a new hard drive once it is released,
> I thought I'd ask a few pertinent questions here (I haven't installed Debian
> since Feb98).
>
> - Has the install process changed? improved?
> - Is apt or dselect used? which is recommended?

It is expected that apt will be on the base system.
Therefore dselect + apt will be the best installation method.

> - Which C compiler (GCC/EGCS) is default? C++?

gcc is the default for C (package "gcc") and egcs for C++ (package g++).

> - Can I choose at install time?

egcs is also available as a C compiler, package egcc (at least it was in
hamm). [ I don't think you will want to use gcc 2.7.2.3 for C++ ].

> - Which WM is installed as default?

As far as I know, no WM is installed as "default" (I'm referring to an
install based on package's priorities, not about the new predefined
profiles). The only X package having a standard priority is xlib6g.  All
the other X packages are optional.  Therefore, you can install whatever WM
you like best, as always.

Be careful with the "predefined profiles", some people prefer not to use
them at all because you end up with a lot of unneeded stuff on your hard
disk.

> - Is GNOME and Enlightenment ready to go out of the box? What versions?

I think there will be gnome packages in slink. I don't know about
enlightenment.

> Basically, I intend to do GTK+/GNOME development. I need a machine ready to work
> in that environment. I have one now but it's pieced together from tarball
> releases. I'd like to stick with apt/packages if Debian can keep up relatively
> well.
>
> In practice, I typically find that if I try to use dselect to maintain my
> system, things quickly degrade. Has that changed?

It depends. Are you following slink? At this moment it would be better
not to do so, at least not until it improves a little bit.

If you want a rock solid distribution, stay with the "stable" distribution
(a.k.a. hamm). slink is not ready for daily use yet.

> When is slink slated for release?

Maybe december, but we don't know for sure.

> Should I buy a new drive this month, or just
> wait till next month?

This depends on your needs. If hamm suit your needs, stay with hamm.
If whatever you want to install from hamm does fit in your current drive,
you will not need a new drive yet :-)