Re: Operation not permitted !?

I believe it should be this... or this is how I setup such a local network using tcp/ip. Excuse me if I am wrong..

Try this ip stuff...
Debian Linux

IP: 10.0.0.30
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast: 10.0.0.255 or is it 10.0.0.254 (try both.. I am not thinking too well today)
Network: 10.0.0.0
No gateway.

Windows machine
IP:10.0.0.31 or 10.0.0.20 as you had it..
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

As far as I can see.. I reckon it is your netmask and broadcast addresses the problem.. But like I say I could be wrong..

Regards,
Michael

-Subject: Operation not permitted !?

I have a 3Com Etherlink III 3C5090

IP: 10.0.0.30
Netmask 255.0.0.0
Broadcast 10.255.255.255
Network 10.0.0.0
No gateway

Directly after installation it works fine,
I can ping from my win98 box and I can ping any other machine from my linux
box.

First i did after login with root was to reboot
Then my network was down....
I cant ping my linux box from the win98 box
and when i try to ping any  IP within the 10.0.0.0 net ping replies with
(win98 is 10.0.0.20 but any ip in this net gives me same result)
Send to: Operation not permitted

I can ping my own IP 10.0.0.30

If i ping any IP outside my local network I get Network unreachable as it's
supposed to tell me...

ifconfig tells me my eth0 is up and running and kernel route looks ok
10.0.0.0 is routed to eth0

This is just confusing and I have reinstalled 4 times... same thing every
time!

help! :/

/Johan