Re: Problems with network card IRQ conflicting.

Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> writes:
> Both PCI cards, right?  And an Adaptec SCSI card I'll wager.
>
> Pull out the NIC, and boot.  Shutdown, insert the NIC, and boot.  The
> BIOS should assign a different IRQ to the NIC.
>
> I had this exact problem recently with a 2940 and a Netgear FA-310TX.

I have also observed that on my Tyan S1668 (Titan Pro, I think), the PCI
cards are assigned IRQs simply by mapping a certain IRQ to a certain slot.
It has 4 IRQs available for mapping, and 5 PCI slots.  The pigeon-hole
principle tells us that there must be two slots sharing an IRQ ;-) It turns
out to be the first and last slot that share.  So, on this board, if you
have less than 5 cards, you're wise not to use those slots simultaneously.

Later,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |