Re: SCSI problem, can't instal Debian

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Reagan Doose wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian 2.0 from a Bootable, SCSI CD.  I have a
Dell
> Dimension XPS H266 computer with an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter and a
2GB UW
> hard drive.
>
> All starts off well, I get the boot prompt, and the system looks like
it is
> coming up, then I get this:
>
> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Bad scbptr 16 during SELTO.
> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 225 not valid during SELTO.
> SCSISEQ = 0x5a SEQADDR = 0xh SSTATO = 0x15 SSTAT1 = 0x8a
>
> This is repeated forever.
>
> This problem did not occur two days ago when I installed RedHat 4.2,
so I
> don't think it is a hardware problem.

I have a computer with an adaptec 2840 controler, and had the same
problems.  The only way I was able to get the SCSI on line was to
install a custom kernel with support for ONLY the adaptec controller
built in.  Trouble is that the stock kernel supports MANY different
kinds of scsi controllers and probes for the one you have.  This
probing screws up some adaptec models into FUBAR.  Also you MUST
enable the bios on the scsi card or linux won't be able to use it.  I
ended up puting an IDE cd rom in the computer to load a base system,
then re-built the kernel.  Now I can use the scsi cd.  If you have a
second computer, or have access to another debian system you can
replace the stock kernel on the boot floppy with one having only the
adaptec (or what ever) driver.

In my case adding lilo parameters did not help.