Re: Security problem

On Tuesday, October 27, Lukas Eppler wrote

> I have [dists/hamm/main dists/hamm/contrib dists/hamm/non-free] in my
> selection in dselect. is there a directory to mention to have the security
> updates quicker than a week, without going slink/unstable?

The best thing to do is to subscribe to debian-security-announce and follow
the instructions contained in the alerts that we send to this list.

The directory where packages meant for stable are stored is
dists/proposed-updates, but it's not a good idea to install on your machine
every package that lands there, at least not for a production machine.
Basically, packages tagged for 'stable' are moved automatically from
Incoming to proposed-updates, without any testing. Then, if the package
fixes a security hole, some basic testing is done, the advisory is written
up and posted to debian-security-announce. More in-depth testing is then
done on all packages in proposed-updates, and every couple of weeks the
packages in that directory are either moved to stable or rejected,
depending on the results of the tests.

Hopefully that helped clarify our update process for stable. If anything
still isn't clear, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

  Christian
  Debian Security