RE: [Debian] getting only LI from LILO

It's covered in the LILO User's Guide.  It says it's either due
to a geometry mismatch (between LILO and the BIOS) or a moved
/boot/boot.b file.  I'd bet on the geometry mismatch.  You can
usually get around the mismatch problem by adding the "linear"
option to lilo.conf and rerunning lilo.  Alternatively, you
could force lilo to use the same geometry as the BIOS by adding
a disk= stanza to lilo.conf or you could force the kernel and
then lilo and fdisk to use the BIOS geometry with a kernel
boot option.

Tony