can someone help me upgrade sendmail

The whole thing started when some hellish folks started using our web
server to reflect their junk mail.

I have to be careful about this, though, because there are two groups of
people who need to keep using sendmail on our server for legitimate
purposes.

Group 1 are the people who have aliases for their virtual web domains on
our server -- their mail needs to keep going through.

Group 2 are the people on our lan who should be able to reflect *their*
mail out.  This group is all coming in from a single IP address, however,
so that should make it easy, right?

I'm pretty much a novice at Linux administration, unfortunately.  I was
merely assisting the people who did our initial install, last December
(12/5/97).  The machine in question is ns.admast.com.  Since then, I
successfully add domains, aliases, and the occasional user.

Is it hard to grab the new software?  Is it precompiled?  Our Linux box is
a 486 clone running a Tomcat chipset.  The thing works like a dream, until
all these angry people starting asking me to close the "relay".

I'm not even sure how I can find out what version of sendmail I'm running!
That's how green I am.

I would seriously appreciate some help.

:)

TIA,

Adam Nelson
adam@tappedin.com

P.S.  Feel free to email me directly, so as not to overtax the group recipients.