Re: arguments against Linux I have heard and just my two cents worth

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 John_Gay@3com.com wrote:

> I have been recommending Linux to many people sense I first found out about
> it, and I point them to Debian because it seems to have the most open and
> supportive access I have found. I also point them to the Linux home site so
> they can form there own opinions about the different distributions. The
> biggest argument I get back is "Everyone I deal with is using MSOffice and
> I need to stay compatible". Now I understand that MS software won't
> currently run on Linux, however, when I pressure them for more info, I find
> that the most common compatibility issue is MSWord97! Surely any word

I guess the fact that different versions of Word don't talk to each other
isn't an issue then... ;)

> processing system should be able to import many different formats of
> documents. I know the Staroffice seems to be a common word processor for
> Linux and WordPerfect, I hear has been ported as well. If either of these

Indeed - WordPerfect is a recent release for Linux, and IIRC both it and
Startoffice support MSWord (though which versions I'm not sure - see their
websites for details). There is also a Word2X package which does a basic
MSwrod-unix text conversion.

> systems can import MSWord documents, then compatibility is NOT an issue. I
> don't know if this is the case or not. Also, are there any other common
> office tools, like spreadsheet, database etc. . . that can be imported to
> the Linux equivalent? I know the MS software is locked behind heavy

Oracle (database), and I think Infomix's product are due in linux versions
soon. There is also a Netware server for linux as well. Most morder
packages can output in a non-product specific format as well (spreadsheets
in tab or comma separated form, .rtf text files &c.).

> copyright laws and such, however, there should be no reason the file
> formats they produce can't be implemented in Linux software as
> Import/Export features. This would allow more people to use Linux AND keep
> in touch with their clients who are using MS software. Please educate me on
> the formats that ARE compatible, so I can pass this on to people who say
> "I'd love to use Linux, but my client uses MS'X'software and I have to stay
> compatible." Then I can reply "Certainly compatibility is an issue,
> however, You can use 'X' to import and export to MS'X' format, stay fully
> compatible with your clients AND take advantage of a more powerful System
> as well!"

I guess if the output formats of MS products are available (which I
presume they are since non-Ms packages can read them, then I presume that
linux importers should be available/writable)...

HTH,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo