Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

>> "SJC" == Stephen J Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> writes:

SJC> makes sense...the more upstream developers, the more exposure debian gets
SJC> lets face it...when you look around and see "Linux Software" the
SJC> first name you see is RedHat and the first package format (not
SJC> counting tarball) is RPM...
SJC> And thats the kind of stuff that gives them real presense

Many programms also have Debian versions, but there are simply not
mentioned on the homepages. Maybe the author doesn't know this, maybe
he just didn't care to update his page.

How about asking the upstream authors to place a link to the Debian
version (better only to the directory)
ftp.debian.org/debian/unstable/main/admin for example. Maybe also a
link to stable.

How about a announcement to freshmeat when a programm is newly
packaged for Debian?

Maybe this should be discussed further in -devel or -publicity.

SJC> Now that I have read this I think I will have HIM do the install
SJC> with as little coaching from me as possible, then will write down
SJC> all his trouble spots, and how I explained it to him.

SJC> If anyone is interested I think it could be a great help in where
SJC> we need to improve.

Good idea. Please do so. Maybe I wil have a chance do do so as well
soon.

Ciao,
	Martin