Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

On 04-Aug-1998, Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, George Bonser wrote:
> :
> : That is the point that I create a slightly modified subset of Debian that
> : does conform to the standard and sell the sucker for $100 a pop to
> : businesses needing a better Linux than Red Hat.
>
> Ok, but why is it Debian's job to develop this derivative work?  I am
> amazed that no-one's based a commercial distribution on Debian yet - it
> is by far the most solid UNIX-like OS I've ever installed, and I've
> played with HP/UX, Solaris, FreeBSD, BSDi, and SCO (not to mention OS/2,
> Novell, Win95/NT)

I agree with you here.  It would be a silly thing for Debian to do,
they simply don't have the right structure to do this.  I have been
toying with the idea doing something like this, but it would be a
separate (but releated) project.

The best way to get Debian as a commercial product is to make it one.
This is the power of free software -- you can do that.  Many of the
developers are not interested in marketing or selling or

--
       Tyson Dowd           # "Bill Gates is a white persian cat and a monocle
                            # away from becoming another James Bond villan."