Market Debian? (was Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?)

On 08/04/98 at 05:34 PM, Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> said:

>Technical excellence is about doing something well, and coming up with
>a system which is highly capable.  One measure of capability is how
>much software runs on the system.  If RedHat runs a greater variety of
>commercial applications than Debian, then in that sense RedHat is
>technically superior to Debian (even though in other senses it may be
>inferior).  I think Debian should strive for technical excellence in
>every sense, and part of this requires that we take marketing
>considerations seriously.

Figured I'd at least try and make the subject close to topic.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and someone will), but one of the reasons I
thought Debian to be technically superior to RH and co was the ability
to use RPMs in addition to deb packages.  IOW, it can use any package RH
can; just install alien then the package.

George