Re: Linus Torvalds interview

On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 08:25:30AM -0400, Mike Barton wrote:
> >Just to add my experiences of win95 into the frey, i have also done the
> MB
> >swap thing and while after a lot of rebooting in managed to recover, on
> the
> >other hand my bro's machine is almost identical to mine (only minor
> >differences lijke graphics card, HD make) failed miserable to survive
> the
> >same swap, it just shows that if you make any major hardware changes
> best to
> >reinstall. (apart from the fact that windows is a joke)
> ..
> Fray is right! Say, did you try an Alpha MB, Z-80 or 6809 maybe? How
> well does an Apple PPC MB swap work? Since Linux doesn't survive such
> swaps any better than anyone else, what are you writing about to begin
> with?

I beg to differ...Linux seems to survive equipment swaps
much better than most OSes (especially Windows...but not as well as DOS
actually ;) (depening on how "tweaked" you have DOS))

The nice thing is very little configuration info is stored on the machine..
it is mostly all detected at startup.

I have build a linux system on 1 computer...taken the hard drive out
and placed it directly in a second radicly different system and
watched it boot and work first time (built ona  pentium...placed it on
a 386)

I have seen windows bomb out totally doing the same thing. As far as
a PPC MB swap...MacOS seems to handle such things fine...dunno
about linux but I would assume it works.

> If this is yet-another herd like MS bash, think about using IRC or
> the National Enquirer. Better yet, why not spend your time writing some
> software. Linux could use things like Delphi, Access, Excel, DBase, SQL
> Server... well you get the picture.

mmm there are alwready some SQL servers for linux. As for Access and Excel..
I dunno  about Access and Excel..but maybe programs like them (I hate macro
viruses...see em all the time at work)
-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"