Re: hardware purchase advice: modems

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:

: Ok...
: I am using a 33.6 kbps modem and it works pretty good...the main problem
: is now I am running a masquerading firewall for my girlfriend and me...and
: it can get bogged downa  bit by us...
: I want to alleviate this  abit by getting a 56k modem. I plan to do
: this within the next month or so...about when we move into our new
: apartment Sept. 1
:
: I would like a 56k but am not sure what to get. I do NOT want to be
: stuck in a winmodem hell. Have the problems with 56k modems been
: resolved (ie is there a standard yet?). What is good to get
: (ie it must not need any special "windows" driver but...they ALL say
: "made for Windows 95" so..its hard to tell whats best)

Well, there are three standards for 56k ... x2 (USR, 3Com), KFlex
(Lucent, etc.), and v.90 which is the ITU standard.  However, v.90 RAS
equipment is not yet widely available (though the modems are ... I smell
marketing :).  We just purchased an 8000 RAC from Bay Networks, and they
do not yet have v.90 code available.

: suggestions? any good brands? any brands to stay away from?
: (alternately...where can I get a good $$ ;) )

Well, personally, I prefer the x2 modems.  However, others will prefer
KFlex.  And, you'd do best to get a v.90 modem, but there's the
possibility it won't work properly with the RAS equipment at your ISP!
(Boy, do I hate dialup)

I think your best bet is to contact your ISP and see which modems they
guarantee supporting.  Either that, or get a cable modem or DSL if it's
available, and leave modems behind!

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104