hardware purchase advice: modems

Ok...
I am using a 33.6 kbps modem and it works pretty good...the main problem
is now I am running a masquerading firewall for my girlfriend and me...and
it can get bogged downa  bit by us...
I want to alleviate this  abit by getting a 56k modem. I plan to do
this within the next month or so...about when we move into our new
apartment Sept. 1

I would like a 56k but am not sure what to get. I do NOT want to be
stuck in a winmodem hell. Have the problems with 56k modems been
resolved (ie is there a standard yet?). What is good to get
(ie it must not need any special "windows" driver but...they ALL say
"made for Windows 95" so..its hard to tell whats best)

suggestions? any good brands? any brands to stay away from?
(alternately...where can I get a good $$ ;) )

(since this is not really "on topic" (not that this list has much of a topic
as it is just general for al "debian users" private replies are ok...
I really have no preference to private or public)
-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"