Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

Hi,
>>"George" == George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> writes:

 George> THere are still a great many Solaris, HP-UX, and Irix admins
 George> who have heard the word Linux but that is about the extent of
 George> their exposure. Many still laugh with Linux is mentioned.

	Yes, ignorance is a blight on the world. Idiots abound,
 too. Not enough reason for us to change our versioning scheme for, so
 far.

 George> As I mentined earlier, they do not understand at first that
 George> the version numbers are for the distributions, not of Linux
 George> itself. They are used to dealing in a world where things have
 George> particular versions. They know HP-UX 10.20 or Solaris 2.5.1
 George> but they can not understand different versions of the same OS
 George> being the same until it is explained to them. They would not
 George> understand Sun Solaris at 2.6 and WonderWare Solaris at 4.1.

	Yes, Yes. But what does this have to do with our versioning?
 Their ignorance is their cross to bear.

 George> THe next thing out of their mouth is that they wonder how
 George> incompatable the different distributions are and most at that
 George> point dismiss Linux because they just do not have the time to
 George> sort it all out. They are busy and do not intend to become a
 George> hobbyist. If they try Linux, they go with Red Hat because it
 George> is "the standard". All other distributions are seen as fringe
 George> efforts by these people. THey look at the commercial
 George> applications providers such as Applix, Informix, etc. and
 George> note that few if any ship other than Red Hat, Caldera, or
 George> S.u.S.E. versions of their applications.  Try to talk Debian
 George> to them and they dismiss it saying they just do not have the
 George> time.

	Wonderful. We shall thank the lord fasting. I am unsure why we
 need people like that. They vertainly do not seem part of the free
 software community yet. When they learn better, maybe they too shall
 come unto the fold. In the meanwhile, red hat may indeed be the
 better distribution for them. If they fail to investigate before they
 make a choice, I sure do not want them; they do not sound like they
 have the time or the inclination to contribute to the community. And
 this is about community.

	Market domination is not a goal for me.

	manoj
--
 "A bit of tolerance is worth a megabyte of flaming." Henry Spencer