X server problem?

I'm trying to run a game called Maelstrom, and I can load it when not in
X.  When I'm in X though, I get this error:
X Error of failed request:  BadAccess (attempt to access private resource
denied)
  Major opcode of failed request:  129 (MIT-SHM)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_ShmPutImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  96

I tried running it as root and I got this error:
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
X: Can't open display...

I'm running XF86_S3V because I have a s3 virge dx video card.  I've run
this game in debian 1.3 with no problems.  I did not use the FX86S3V
xserver though.  I used SVGA xserver, I believe.  I noticed when I load
the game in a normal concole (not in X) i tsays it's connecting to
svgalib.  Does this have something to do with my problem in X?

| ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1997-98 |
| Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh (Careful it's not completed)   |
| "The past brings pain, the future depression,                           |
|  the present disappointment.  The only thing that remains is the moment.|
|  Live for the moment, and enjoy life.  You only have one chance. "      |