Re: XDM / KDM problem...

Well, that is a bit extreme.  don't worry about shutting down the X
server.  when the tty on which the X server is running is active, you
can switch to other tty's by using Control-LeftAlt-Fx, where x is the
number of a different tty (presumably a text console).

start when the machine is booted, simply edit /etc/X11/config and
change the line which says 'start-xdm' to 'no-start-xdm' (or just
comment the darn thing out).

finally, i have no idea how to do change to kdm.  sorry.

-alan