only root can hear sound..?

I've got something of a catch 22 going  with regard
to rvplayer and netscape, and the oss sound driver.

I loaded the oss sound driver for my 2.0 config and it works nicely, but
for root only.
play -v /usr/lib/xemacs-20.4/etc/sounds/Snicker.au
results in:
/dev/dsp: Permission denied

I can't run netscape as root (a security issue) and I can't hear audio as
a user. Rvplayer works only under root root as well. I can start it up as
a user, but can't hear anything, presumably because of th permissions
problem.

Thanx for help on this matter.

Ed