Re: Indenting columns w/ LPR

Several possibilities. Check out enscript, a2ps, a2gs. These
all take ascii files and convert to postscript. As I recall
they also will give you margins in the process.

I do mine in ascii with a special text mode printer entry in
/etc/printcap and a special print "filter" installed. My printer
is a Cannon bjc610. This is accomplished by sending control
codes to the printer before sending the text. But the filter
does it automatically. To do this requires some research into
control codes for your printer.

The program pr may also work for you, but I find it rather
crude and unpredictable.

Hope these ideas help.

Paul

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Patrick O'Brien wrote:

> I like to make hard copies of config files to refer to and print
> them out on 3-hole punched paper.  However, I find that the
> printing starts at the extreme left edge of the paper and 4-5
> characters worth get cut out by the holes. I've tried to use the
> -i switch but it doesn't seem to want to work with my printer. I
> used magicfilter to set up my HP IIIP, using the enclosed hp3p
> filter. It prints wonderfully, except for the left margin being
> so tight to the edge of the paper. The manpage does say that -i
> may not work with all printers, so....
>
> ...any ideas?
>
> pob

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills              *  Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.              *
* EMAIL= Paul@Mills-USA.com  *  WWW= http://Mills-USA.com/          *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *