Re: X11 installation problem

jaechi@netlane.com wrote:

> Hi!
>
> A few days ago I installed Debian 2.0 and today I tried to install
> X11R6 (3.3.2.3). When I started preinst.sh I get the message:
>
> "You appear to have an a.out system. a.out binaries are not available
> for this release."
>
> Please help. I'm very new to this OS.
> Thanks a lot!
>
> jae

	'preinst.sh'?  Are you trying to install the standard X11 tarball (from
XFree86.org maybe?), and not the deb packages of X11?  Just use
dselect.  If you have a CD of Deb 2 , then you'll find the all the deb
X11 packages on the CD.  Or use dselect with apt/ftp access method, and
have dselect download the X packages from ftp.debian.org or a mirror.
Just make sure you download from the hamm (or stable) section
(/debian/dists/hamm/) on the ftp site.

--
Ed