Bootdisk problem

Hello,

I am trying to create a custom bootdisk so that I may be able to restore
my old setup off of a tapedrive.  I have one problem, I am unable to get
the bootdisk to boot.  The kernel loads and the root image is read into
the Ramdisk and then mounted read-only, but then when init is suppose to
start it does not.  I have it copied on to the root partition, but nothing
happens.  If anyone can just tell me exactly what must be on the root
image for a simple usable prompt please let me know. I have looked at the
howto on bootdisks and it was only a help up to this point.  Again thank
you.

Alex