Swapping Hard Drives on the fly

Hey Folks,

I have a 1.2G IDE HD that I have in a removable drive cady on my Bo
system. It's not a 'hot-swap' drive or anything sophisticated like that,
and on my Windoze system I wouldn't have even considered pulling it out
while the PC was running.

However, under Linux, shouldn't I just be able to unmount or mount the
drive at will?  Would that damage or confuse anything? Or possibly put
in the drive once I have booted without it?

Anyone have a similar setup?

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
(damon@empire.net.au)     | As my head fell in the basket,