Re: changing a users group

At 04:57 -0500 on 5/8/98, Joost Kooij wrote:
> On Fri, 8 May 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>editing the
> > > use vipw for editting your password file and vigr for the group file.
> >
> > Which is just the same as manually editing them. Is there a good
> > reason to use vipw, instead of just "vi /etc/passwd"?
>
> AFAIK vipw is supposed to lock the password file or at least perform the
> edits on a scratch copy of the original file and merge in the changes with
> the real /etc/passwd (which may have changed while you were editing) when
> you're ready.

Did I miss something?  The command "usermod -g groupname userid" is what I
use to change the group assignment for a user.

I don't worry about the groups file because it is static so I use vi on it.

Butch

Butch Kemper                         | Free sound advice available
Kemper & Associates Consulting Group | "95% sound and 5% advice"
830-693-6967                         | Refunds cheerfully provided