Re: Comments on Debian 'frozen' release, wvdial

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 12:50:18PM -0600, Andy Rabagliati wrote:

> On Monday 20 April, Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>

> > You can install pppconfig. It is not in the base disks, though. I will
> > suggest that to the boot floppy maintainer.
>
> I did. Much better, thanks !
>
> > I will suggest pppconfig in the base disks. I'm not sure about the
> > nameserver stuff, but I will suggest it, too. Not however, that only the
> > first three entries are ever used (check the man page). And everybody is
> > encouraged to use the nameserver of his local provider.
>
> Yes. I do not think that the nameserver is any more precious than the
> name of the provider or the phone number - though I suppose it is shared
> between all providers.

Probably a random selection out of a list? I think some people could really
feel pissed of if a few hundred people use their nameserver, and using a
remote nameserver is not lowering bandwidthm too.

Note, that you can also configure your nameserver with the base disk ("Are
you connected to a network?") It is not easy to know that you have to answer
"Y" here if you have a dial-up link, but this problem is known. I hope it
will be fixed, too.

> I actually use xisp (which, by the way has broken dependencies - how
> do I file a bug report ?) which edits resolv.conf every call.

Please install the "bug" package, it adds version information to your mail
and sets the right pseudo header. Otherwise, mail is sent to
"submit@bugs.debian.list", but you have to check /usr/doc/debian/bug-* for
more information.

If you have the bug pacage installed, life is easy: "bug <packagename>".

> I attach a modified version of pppconfig that includes nameserver
> configuration that *will* be needed on a boot disk.

I'm not sure if the maintainer/author considers resolv.conf as within the
responsibilities and tasks of pppconfig. However, he is very responsive to
suggestions. Please mail the patch to him, his mail adress is:

brinkmds@flora:~/ddh$ dpkg -s pppconfig
Package: pppconfig
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 42