Re: pcmcia install help

On 21 Apr 1998, Mike Miller wrote:

> First, I installed base system with floppies.  Then I copied the
> pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules packages from the debian archive to
> a different linux machine and put them on a floppy.  Since you've
> got a cd, you might not need to do that.  On the other hand, since
> you've had problems with pcmcia-cs_2.9.6-2.deb and the
> pcmcia-modules packages on your cd, I suggest you get the current
> versions from the stable directory at
> your-favorite-debian-ftp-site.  The versions that are there now
> are pcmcia-cs_2.9.6-3.deb, pcmcia-modules-2.0.29-7 and
> pcmcia-modules-2.0.30-7.

Hey, it worked! I not only had to use the latest pcmcia-cs, but
pcmcia-modules-2.0.29-7 was necessary (instead of the
pcmcia-modules-2.0.29.2x that came with my disc).

Thanks to everyone for your help.

(Now can someone tell me why it's dumping me directly into a root shell
after bootup? The other virtual consoles have login gettys running as
normal.)