pcmcia install help

Now I am thoroughly confused. I installed "pcmcia-cs_2.9.6-2.deb," which I
found on my Debian 1.3.1 CD, and it complained that the actual modules were
missing. The only pcmcia module package I could find on the CD were
pcmcia-modules-2.0.29_2.9.5-2.deb and pcmcia-modules-2.0.30_2.9.5-3.deb; I
tried installing both of them and it didn't work; both requires a difference
pcmcia-cs pagackage (2.9.5-2, while the one I have is 3.0.0-5). There is
also the question of whether or not it will work on this kernel, which is
2.0.32. So I went to www.debian.org and downloaded
pcmcia-modules-2.0.32_3.0.0-5k5.deb.

Well, that package is dependent on pcmcia-cs_3.0.0-5.deb, so I downloaded
that, and then I got the error that it needed libc6.

Now, I have no idea what I should do to get Debian working. I'm ready to
conclude that you cannot install Debian on a laptop that uses a pcmcia modem
as its primary interface to the world. I would really love it if somebody
proved me wrong.