Re: Running XDVI from netscape

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:51:10 -0500 (EST)
From: John Kloss <jkloss@cs.jhu.edu>
To: Fredrik Ax <fax@df.lth.se>
Cc: Fernando Tadeu C Brandt <fbrandt@fma.if.usp.br>,
    Bob Nielsen <nielsen@primenet.com>,
Subject: Re: Netscape fails to automatically open ps, ram, ...

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Fredrik Ax wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Fernando Tadeu C Brandt wrote:
> >
> > > Netscape is showing the following error box when I try to open
> > > postscripts, sound file, etc:
> > >
> > > sh: -c line 1: missing closing ')' for arithmetic expression
> > > sh: -c line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
> > > sh: -c line 1: '((gv /tmp/MO34FAF5B0003B1); rm /tmp/MO34FAF5B0003B1 )&'
> > >
> [SNIP]
>
> > This is the classic symptom of running the somewhat-buggy bash-2.0 in bo.
> >

> The problem is that bash interpretates "((" not as two seperate brackets
> but as a bracket for expression evaluated according to the arithmetic
> evaluation rules and therefore misses the closing "))" bracket.
>

> > I would suggest upgrading to hamm to get around this.  There is a bo
> > version of bash-2.05 around which provides a workaround, but you have to
> > be very careful when you do upgrade to hamm if you have that version
> > installed (I found out the hard way).
>
> A faster solution whould be to install "ash" wich is distributed in
> version 0.2-1 in bo. Use dselect, or for even faster install
> "dpkg -i bo/binary/shells/ash_0.2-1.deb" from your Debian 1.3x
> distribution.
>
> When installed change the symlink name sh in /bin to point at ash
> instead of bash:
>
> % cd /bin
> % ln -sf ash sh

Okay, maybe this was a stupid thing to do, but I used emacs to edit the
binaries. On line 17183 of my version of netscape (4.04) I changed the
line

	((^@cat %s | ^@); rm %.200s )&

	( (^@cat %s| ^@ ); rm %.200s)&

and things seemed to work just fine. At least I got rvplayer to work that
way and netscape doesn't crash (so far).

I'm sure the better solution is to upgrade to hamm, but I'm waiting for
the code freeze before I order the cd's (I just have this hangup about
using something that says unstable).

	- John Kloss