Re: emacs

   I realize this isn't specifically a Debian question -- but which versions
   of emacs have postscript-mode?

AFAIK no version of Emacs come with a builtin postscript-mode.  I
think you will have to look for one as a third-party package.

   Also, I have a large .el file that works great under emacs 19, but not
   under emacs 20.  Should I expect to be able to port it so that it works
   under both versions, or just focus on emacs 20?

It shouldn't be too much trouble to make it work under both versions,
the differences are not big.  And there are lots of people still using
version 19, in case you're interested in making the patches widely
available.