Re: Comments on Debian 'frozen' release, wvdial

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 01:39:17PM -0600, Andy Rabagliati wrote:

> Folks,
>
>   Except .. that after the base install I wished to continue as an ftp
>   install. This required the usual guru-level PPP setup, not acceptable,
>   in my opinion, for a fresh install.

It is not any more. See below.

>   I suggest that the base installation include a PPP setup utility,
>   that the installer be asked if they wish to use FTP as the next
>   install method, and, if so, that PPP be set up.

You can install pppconfig. It is not in the base disks, though. I will
suggest that to the boot floppy maintainer.

>   I fetched wvdial, thinking that it might be the solution to my
>   problem above. It was indeed, simple to set up.

wvdial is strange. pppconfig is the "official" new ppp helper, I think.
It works great.

>   I therefore suggest that the wvdial setup check for the auth
>   line in /etc/ppp/options, and use "noauth" with ppp if it is
>   present, and, if /etc/resolv.conf is not present, add a default
>   one, perhaps from the list of debian nameservers,
>
>      BUOY.COM                     205.230.163.100
>      WWW2.BUOY.COM                205.230.163.102
>      NS2.CISTRON.NL               195.64.68.28
>      MIRIAM.FULLER.EDU            206.1.27.4
>      LALUG.ORG                    198.186.216.134
>      NS1.WAW.COM                  194.51.88.250
>
>   I further suggest that wvdial (or another easy PPP setup utility)
>   be added to the base installation, and that it be invoked before
>   dselect.

I will suggest pppconfig in the base disks. Would you please file a bug
report against wvdial about the other problems? I'm not sure about the
nameserver stuff, but I will suggest it, too. Not however, that only the
first three entries are ever used (check the man page). And everybody is
encouraged to use the nameserver of his local provider.

Marcus