Re: Running XDVI from netscape

Michael Tempsch writes:

> > I installed Netscape 4.04 (in a private directory) last year
> > and after fiddling with preferences (Edit -> preferences
> > ->Navigator->Applications)  I was able to bring up XDVI when
> > I clicked on a .dvi file and a ghostview  when I click on a .ps
> > file.  I was running RedHat 4.02 (I think).
> >
> > I installed Debian 1.3.1 last month, and Netscape works without
> > having to reinstall.  However now when I click on a
> > .dvi or .ps file, I get message:
> >
> >     sh -c line 1: missing closing `)' for arithmetic expression
> >     sh -c line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
> >     sh -c line 1: ((/hda8/Tex/bin/xdvi /tmp/M...dvi);rm /tmp/M....dvi)&
>
> Definately sounds like the bash-2.0 bug...
>
> Upgrade or downgrade bash.
> (alternately you could remove the symlink /bin/sh->/bin/bash and instead
> create the symlink /bin/sh->/bin/ash if you have ash installed)

Thanks Michael  for quick response.

I don't have ash loaded, but I have ksh. I link /bin/sh -> /bin/ksh
and I get another error message; now the parens are not balanced.

Hmm...  will another shell give me still different error messages?
I load ash from cdrom, and /bin/sh -> /bin/ash - and IT WORKS.

A problem with shells seems more serious than one with application;
should I report this to someone? if so who. The problem  may be
with Netscape 4.04 since it seemed to have generated an illegal
script with ksh.

King Lee
king@ultrix6.cs.csubak.edu