XFree 3.3.2 and TGUI9680

After a recent harddrive failure I moved from bo to hamm.  I quickly
discovered that XF86 in hamm doesn't seem to like my tgui9680 vid card.
The svga server loads, but all I get is a black screen, and after hitting
ctrl-alt-bkspc I get:
"waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing."

This can be remedied by reinstalling just the svga server from bo (3.3).
Any ideas on what's causing this and how to get around it?

tgui9680 w/ 1meg
Triton II VX
Cyrix 150+
40 Meg ram.

Thanks,

Seth

There is no Emotion, There is Peace
There is no Ignorance, There is Knowledge
There is no Passion, There is Serenity
There is no Death, There is the *****