Re: linux shutdown

Thats not exactly true (as I pointed out earlier but I
might have accidently not
sent my response ot the list)
actually sync;sync;halt would work fine...under ideal conditions :)
but...under debian linux (and redhat) it will work fine
in fatc....you can just forhget the double sync and call halt (or
reboot)
this was true that that was VERY BAD for a long time but...
check out the man page for halt:
       If halt or reboot is
       called when the system is not in runlevel 0  or  6,  shut
       down(8)  will be invoked instead (with the flag -h or -r).
since sync;sync doesn't change the runlevel...and at runlevel
0 or 6 you don't have a shell anyway...
yes it is a BAD practice becaus eon OLDER syetms and
other Unix-like OSs it is not gauranteed to weork
- -Steve