RE: Instaling Hamm.

I've found it comforting to have a backup of the system
just in case.....

As Will states, its not that difficult.

I use the following sequence:

create new partition
make the ext2 filesystem on the new partition
mount the partition on /mnt/<whatever>
cp -a /<source>/* /mnt/<whatever>
su -c "rm -R /<source>/*"       # be sure you want to delete everything
enter the root password         # you were sure weren't you?
umount /mnt/<whatever>
mount new partition on /<source>
put entry in /etc/fstab so the system will mount it on reboot