Re: recompiling kernel

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 11:32:27AM -0400, Scott Ellis wrote:

[snip]

> > Somewhere in usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/compressed there is a file
> > that is invoking objdump (whatever that might be) with an option `-k'.
> > make zdisk and make zImage say this is an illegal option.

[snip]

> > 	The objdump man page doesn't mention the `-k' option.  So why is
> > some script somewhere issuing this command ?  This is more puzzling since I
> > compiled a kernel when I first installed without any problem.  Same sources.
> > Now I try to add sound and I get this.  Even if I take out the sound support
> > and try to compile the kernel exactly like the one I am currently using
> > (from a backed up .config) I get this error.
[snip]

> Argh!  This keeps popping up.  The proper fix for this is
>
> rm `which encaps`

	Thanks for the answer.  Sorry if I'm dredging up old muck.  Before I
just blindly apply your solution, though, I want to make sure I know at
least at little what's going on.  I've been trying to decipher the stdout
from make zImage (or zdisk), and I am not sure the above solution will solve
the problem.  Once again, here is where the compile craps out:

    (...)
    make[2]: Entering directory
    /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot/compressed'
    (...)
    if hash encaps 2> /dev/null; then \
      objdump -k -q  -o 0x100000 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/vmlinux >
    $tmppiggy; \
    else \
      objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -R .stab -R .stabstr
    /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/vmlinux $tmppiggy; \
    fi;
    (...)
    objdump: illegal option -- k
    Usage: objdump [-ahifdDprRtTx  (...)
    (...)
    make: *** [zdisk] Error 2
    root:/usr/src/linux #

	Let me explain why I am unsure that the above solution is going to
solve my problem.  If I understand the above excerpt correctly, `objdump -k
-q ...' will be executed if `hash encaps' returns an exit status of true.
It shouldn't.  I don't have encaps on my system.  I have checked using

	`find / -iname encaps',
	`type encaps',
  and 	`file encaps'.

Therefore, `objcopy -O binary ...' should be executed instead.  I have
tested this with the following little script :

	if hash encaps 2> /dev/null
	 then
	  echo Hello !
	 else
	  echo Loser !
	fi

which effectively returns `Loser !' rather than `Hello !'.  So I don't
understand why the compile script trys to run `objdump -k ...' instead of
`objcopy ...'  Can anyone explain ?

	My understanding of all this is pretty scant.  Maybe there is
something behind the scenes that I can't see with my little analysis.  If
someone could confirm that "rm 'which encaps'" will indeed solve the
problem, it would be greatly appreciated.  (If that someone had the time and
inclination, I'd love to know the how and why of the solution !)

	Thanks all for your help,

	Gerald Crimp