Re: /dev/ttyS0 permissions

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Bob Hilliard wrote:

>      /dev/ttyS0 should have 660 permissions.  I frequently find my
> /dev/ttyS1 has changed to 640.  This can be caused by pppd terminating
> abnormally, and perhaps by other events.

Is there some place in the documentation where one can see what the
permissions of different files should be on a standard Debian system or is
this list the way to find out information like this?

I know that I saw some instructions in Howto's or in installation README's
on permissions, but how do I for example find out what /tmp 's permissions
should be if restore screwed mine up - as has happened before.

Johann

Johann Spies
jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za

Windsorlaan 19