Re: Printing from windows

Will,

I'm guessing you made the changes to your magicfilter /usr/sbin/XXX as I
instructed above (though you didn't reply to me). If you get gibberish out of the
printer when using the 'cat' passthrough in your magicfilter script that means
that your Win95 box is not generated the right output. Please check to make
double-sure you have the right printer defined in Win95.

Yes, you could define a postscript printer in Win95 and then have magicfilter use
ghostscript on the back end. You'll get better results getting the right driver
in Win95 though. Make *sure* you have selected the driver for your *exact
printer*, not one which you guess is probably compatible (this is my best guess
of how you got to where you're at now).

Will Lowe wrote:

> I've got samba set up ok,  but the output of my Win95 driver doesn't seem
> to get sent to the printer ok -- it prints out as if I'd sent a postscript
> file to a non-postscript printer (you know,  one word of gibberish per
> page) ... does anyone know if
>
> 1) I can get windows to just translate everything into postscript (then I
> can spool it to linux and let magicfilter translate the postscript into
> something my Deskjet 672c can handle)
>
> or
>
> 2) Make linux understand (and spool correctly) the output of my windows
> printer driver
>
>                                 thanks for the help,  guys
>
>                                                         Will

> |             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |