Re: Exim Problem

>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am using eximon my 2 debian (bo) hosts, but I cannot seem to be able to
send
>> > email between these to hosts, I know this is because the DNS lookup for
that
>> > host is failing as I am only running a cacheing nameserver, so is there
anyway
>> > to tell exim that if the DNS hostname lookup fails then to use the hosts
table?

>> Do you have this in /etc/host.conf?
>>
>> order hosts,bind
>>
>> this should tell DNS to look in /etc/hosts before looking into named
>> (or at least this is what I think it should do :)

Yep that is what is in my /etc/host.conf file. and it still don't work, it look
to me like exim and smail (which I have tried on my second machine) as just
doing a DNS lookup and ignoring the /etc/host.conf file.  I have configured
both exim and smail using the debian config programs. and selected option 1,
internet mail, as the other options don't seem to take into account if you are
not connected to the internet,  I think the problem is that my nameserver is
just a cacheing name server and so doesn't do reverse lookups,

Could this be the problem or should I reconfigre exim/smail using the config
progam?  If I reconfigure them using the config program which option should I
use?

Regards

Graham