Re: Connecting Linux machine to Win.95\Linux Machine.

On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 12:32:48AM +0300, Liran Zvibel wrote:
> My current computer is a creepy 486 33 MHZ, I'm not sure that it will be
> able to service me, operate the ISDN line and be a server to a new PII
It *will* be able, assuming it has at least 16MB RAM or better 32MB if that
is possible. (You should really try to put a bit from the planned budget for
the new one in RAM for the old one. It makes a big difference under Linux)

Even an 386sx is cabable of sustaining the (rather low compared to Ethernet)
data rate of 64Kbit that ISDN uses. You won't notice data transfers

I once used a 486/33 DX with IDE disks in mode 0 to serve 15 PC's, all
Pentium 150, for simultaneous web access with squid as a proxy. Worked
great (as soon as I put in 32MB, but that's the price for running squid. You
won't need it)

> (266
> or 300,haven't decided yet) machine (even if it can, won't it slow down
> the new computer?)
No. The bottleneck will be the ethernet anyway.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *