Re: X's with Matrox Millenium II

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is amazing how often this question is asked on this List.  Perhaps a
> FAQ should be created that explains how to use a Millenium II with Debian
> 1.3.1.  :)

Right - I have read about about five times. But only one answer of these
five has satisfied me.

> > I have a Matrox Millenium II video card and Linux Debian 1.3.1. I
> > would like to install the X environment but so far I haven't been able
> > of doing so.

OK - I dont have a Millenium II, but I have a Mystique 220 card. And the
solution for the problem is the same.

> >    Is it possible to achieve this with this release of Debian ?
> >
> > No, not AFAIK.
>
> Actually it is possible but you won't be able to use Debian's packaging
> system.  The software will have to be installed manually and will not be
> monitored by dpkg/dselect.

OK - that's not completely correct. But read on.

> >    If so, how can I do it ?

I have used the following don't-worry-be-happy-and-cry-later solution.

1. Install X base packages, the VGA16 and the SVGA server from bo (aka
   Debian 1.3.1)

2. Download the x332svga.tgz file from any XFree86 ftp mirror. It should be
   about 1.2 Meg. (You will find it in the servers sub directory)

3. Make a backup copy of /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA (ok thats not neccesary,
   but it's good for your nerves) and replace the file with the version that
   you restore from the downloaded .tgz file.

4. Do your XF86Setup or xf86config, as you allways did (grin) and choose the
   Matrox Mystique ... errr ... Millenium as your video card.

5. Have fun. This should work. The only thing, that you shouldn't do, is to
   upgrade your installed "xserver-svga" package, because this would destroy
   your "behind-the-dpkg" installed XFree server. But I think the next
   upgrade will be to hamm, and then you will have X11R6 3.3.2
   automatically.

> > You should upgrade to Debian 2.0 (hamm).  It has Mill II support in
> > the SVGA server.

That's right, but I will wait for hamm to go stable, and then to upgrade my
complete machine.

> That isn't necessary.  Although it is more desirable.  What you will need
> to do is download the XF86 3.3.2 binaries from any XFree86 mirror.  There
> are two Linux directories: one for "ix86" and another for "glibc."  The
> "ix86" directory has libc5 binaries and the "glibc" directory has libc6
> binaries.  Since Debian 1.3.1 has libc5 you will want the binaries in the
> "Linux_ix86" directory.

So - a completely undebianized XFree installation isn't neccesary as you
have seen above.

> Take a look at the debian-user mailing list archive for March and April
> for e-mails that I posted that have more details on how to install
> XF86-3.3.2 binaries and what is necessary.  I'm just too lazy to type
> everything again.  :)

OK - thats right, but say the truth - did you take a look at the archive
before you ask? ;-)

Bye
Daniel

Daniel Gross                                     eMail: dg@bingo.baynet.de